Tuesday 2 December 2008

Right but Wrong


News-junkie that I am, I was listening to Radio 4's Today programme in the car on the way to work this morning (the rear wheel of my bike is currently in for repair) and found this interview (12mins 30) fascinating.


The politics of this situation is not what gripped me. This is not a political rant. What gripped me was the concept posited in the interview that one could do everything right in their own eyes and in the eyes of their superiors, have a clean bill of health and yet be totally oblivious to what is really going on - out of touch with reality.


The preoccupation they had at Haringey with data-crunching and target meeting became a smoke screen, obfuscating the human realities and tragedies that they were supposed to be fixing/preventing.


Many movements, theologies and philosophies that pass themselves off as Christian suffer from the same problem. Preoccupation with this or that thing whilst not bad in themselves can delude people into thinking they have life when they don't.


It's a timely reminder to me as I walk the road of life that I want to keep the main thing the main thing and embody this, first above all.

No comments: